ACA, Unrestricted Certified Trade
A Horticultural Technician works in greenhouses, nurseries, landscaping, or greens keeping. They use their gardening knowledge in various ways and settings, such as maintaining formal gardens, golf courses, cemeteries or parks. They spread fertilizer, spray for weeds or pests and diseases, water, repair and mow lawns, plant and prune trees and shrubs.
They must know how to safely and effectively use a variety of garden and power tools and implements. Horticultural Technicians communicate with landscape designers, customers and coworkers, provide advice and guidance on care and growing techniques, and keep up with changing trends in gardening.
Education, Training, Experience and Skills Required:
- grade 12 education or ministry-approved equivalent
- grade 10 students may apply to the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) and gain work hours towards their overall apprenticeship
- completion of a three year apprenticeship program
- recommended high school courses include: English, mathematics, sciences, business
- to be successful, you should have good communication and planning skills. You must be in good physical condition and able to stand, move heavy bags, push and wheel large trolleys loaded with plants. You must be able to bend, plant, rake, dig, prune and mow. You must be able to read blueprints or diagrams and visualize how things should look and enjoy selecting and using rocks, plants, trees and shrubs to create various landscaping effects.
How to Get Trade Certification (Voluntary):
- complete a three year apprenticeship program
- complete the terms of the Apprenticeship Contract to receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship
- pass the exam to receive your Certificate of Qualification with journeyperson status
- there is NO Interprovincial (Red Seal) Trade Certification in this trade
Other Related Trades:
- Agricultural Technician
- Grounds Keeper
Where Do They Work?
- Commercial nurseries
- Wholesale or retail greenhouses
- Landscaping contractors
- Sod production companies
- Agricultural companies
- Botanical gardens
- Public parks
- Golf courses
- Colleges, Universities
- Some are self-employed
Range from $10 to $19 per hour