Gem Setter / Goldsmith
ACA, Unrestricted Certified Trade
A Gem Setter / Goldsmith fabricates, repairs and assembles all types of jewellery and gemstone work. They are knowledgeable of gemsetting theory and techniques and the Occupational Health and Safety Act for handling designated substances.
They measure, cut, saw, file, and drill metals and examine, cut, shape and polish precious, semi-precious and synthetic stones. They must communicate with clients and customers, using both words and pictures to determine design needs, expectations and costs. They prepare sketches and coloured drawings, and make models of rings, brooches, pendants, bracelets, and lockets prior to fabrication and assembly.
A Gem Setter / Goldsmith examines and determines the extent of damage to jewellery, cleans, polishes and finishes jewellery and gemstone work, performs casting, centrifugal casting and vacuum casting techniques.
Related trades include Costume Jewellery Designer, Watch Repairer, Silversmith, Graphic Designer, Jewellery Repairer, Pattern Maker and Blacksmith.
Education, Training, Experience and Skills Required:
- grade 12 education or ministry-approved equivalent
- completion of a three to four year apprenticeship program
- recommended high school courses include: English, senior mathematics (geometry), art and drawing, sciences (chemistry), design technology (senior CAD)
- to be successful, you should have good communication, analytical and problem-solving skills, normal colour vision, good hand-eye coordination, and enjoy working with tools and equipment. You should enjoy learning about precious metals and gems, be detail-oriented, be able to visualize things in multi-dimensions, then be able to draw and make them.
How to Get Apprenticeship Certification (Voluntary):
- complete a three to four year apprenticeship program
- complete the terms of the Apprenticeship Contract to receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship
- there is NO Certificate of Qualification or Interprovincial (Red Seal) Trade Certification for this trade
Range from $11 to $13 per hour