Agriculture – Swine Herdsperson
ACA, Unrestricted Certified Trade
An Agriculture – Swine Herdsperson carries out feeding, health and breeding programs on hog farms and may also supervise general farm workers. They maintain livestock performance records and financial records (using computers) and perform all hog-producing work including selection, breeding, feeding and medicating the animals.
They must read and interpret hog documentation, feed sheets, feeding guides, government regulations and nutritionist or veterinarian prescriptions. They are responsible for understanding and implementing good safety and sanitary procedures regarding animals, machinery, chemicals and pesticides and to ensure swine health and comfort are maintained. They must also operate and maintain farm systems, vehicles, equipment and farm machinery.
An Agriculture – Swine Herdsperson generally works on a hog farm and may progress to supervisory positions such as Production Manager, Breeding Manager or Farm Supervisor, Farrowing Manager, Breeding Technician, Nursery Stock Manager or Artificial Insemination Manager. They may also start their own swine farm, or work in Ontario’s Pork Industry as a Breeding Technician, Pharmaceutical Representative, Genetics Technician, Agricultural Finance Representative, Agribusiness Retail Manager, or as a Swine Research Technician/Assistant.
Education, Training, Experience and Skills Required:
- grade 10 education or ministry-approved equivalent (Grade 12 Recommended)
- completion of a two to three year apprenticeship program
- recommended high school courses include: English, mathematics, business, and sciences
- to be successful, you should have good communication, reading, planning, and problem-solving skills. You should be in good physical condition with good physical stamina, and enjoy hard work. You must be able to work indoors and outdoors and in confined, hot, wet or cold conditions where you are exposed to farm odours. You should also be safety conscious and self-motivated.
How to Get Apprenticeship Certification (Voluntary):
- complete a two to three year apprenticeship program
- complete the terms of the Apprenticeship Contract to receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship
- there is NO Certificate of Qualification or Interprovincial (Red Seal) Trade Certification for this trade
Range from $11 to $16 per hour