Agriculture – Fruit Grower
ACA, Unrestricted Certified Trade
An Agriculture – Fruit Grower works on fruit farms using a variety of farming equipment. They plant and transplant fruit trees, grape vines, plants and canes, cultivate the soil in fields, vineyards or orchards, and spray according to schedule. They also prune, graft, irrigate, fertilize, harvest, grade, process, and pack fruit. They must operate, clean and maintain packing lines, buildings and facilities.
They may also carry out duties related to general farming, such as working with and maintaining farm machinery and tools. They generally work on fruit farms, for nurseries, for experimental farms, or teaching institutions. Related occupations include Farm Manager, Nursery and Greenhouse Operator, and Agricultural Service Contractor.
Education, Training, Experience and Skills Required:
- grade 10 education or ministry-approved equivalent (Grade 12 Recommended)
- completion of a two to three year apprenticeship program
- recommended high school courses include: English, mathematics, business, and sciences
- to be successful, you should have good communication, reading, planning, and problem-solving skills. You should be in good physical condition with good physical stamina, and enjoy hard work. You must be able to work indoors and outdoors and in confined, hot, wet or cold conditions where you are exposed to farm odours. You should also be safety conscious and self-motivated.
How to Get Apprenticeship Certification (Voluntary):
- complete a two to three year apprenticeship program
- complete the terms of the Apprenticeship Contract to receive a Certificate of Apprenticeship
- here is NO Certificate of Qualification or Interprovincial (Red Seal) Trade Certification for this trade
Range from $8 to $17 per hour