Junior and Senior Kindergarten Registration
Do you have a child who will be eligible to attend Junior or Senior Kindergarten in September 2013?
To ensure that you know your local school – English or French Immersion – use the www.findmyschool.ca website. This site provides attendance area and busing information.
French Immersion programs are offered at John McCrae, Edward Johnson, Victory, Paisley Road, F.A. Hamilton, the King George Holding School (City of Guelph), James McQueen (Centre Wellington), Princess Elizabeth (Orangeville for all Dufferin County), Brisbane (East Wellington), and Palmerston (North Wellington). Learn more about French Immersion.
During the 2013-2014 school year students in the English program who have been assigned to the new Lee Street Public School (under construction in East Guelph) will be attending the King George holding school.The Lee Street school will open in September 2014. For information about the Lee Street school's attendance area, see map 4 under Summary of Changes in the Lee Street Boundary Review. If Lee Street is your home school in 2013-2014, register for kindergarten at Ken Danby PS.
The rebuilt Laurine Avenue Public School has a planned opening date of September 2013, and will include students who currently attend Tytler Public School (to be closed in September 2013). If you live in the Laurine Avenue JK-6 Attendance Area, please register at King George PS. If you live in the Tytler PS JK-6 Attendance Area, please register at Tytler PS.
The New Shelburne Elementary School has a planned opening date of September 2013. The attendance area for the new school is an area bounded by Owen Sound Street (Highway 10), Main Street East (Highway 10/89), County Road 124 and the Shelburne townline. (See the New Shelburne Elementary School Boundary Review for details). If you live in the attendance area for the new school, register for kindergarten at Hyland Heights E.S.
Note for Lee Street, Laurine Avenue and the new Shelburne schools: Until March Break 2013 the www.findmyschool.ca website offers information for the 2012-2013 school year, and so may not provide accurate information for areas that have recently undergone boundary reviews. If after consulting the available maps you are still not sure of where to register for kindergarten, contact Jackie Hope at 519-824-4420 ext. 821, or toll free 1-800-321-4025 ext. 821.
- Children who are 4 years of age on or before December 31, 2013, may attend Junior Kindergarten.
- Children who are 5 years of age on or before December 31, 2013 may attend Senior Kindergarten.
- Junior and Senior Kindergarten attendance in Ontario is not mandatory.
- A child does not have to attend Junior Kindergarten to attend Senior Kindergarten.
- If your child attended Junior Kindergarten you do not have to re-register for Senior Kindergarten (unless the child will be attending a different school than the one they are attending this school year).
About our Programs
- Both English and French Immersion programs are offered.
- French Immersion in our board begins in Kindergarten. Children may enter the program in either Junior or Senior Kindergarten.
- We use the Blended Program model where Junior and Senior Kindergarten students work in the same classroom.
- Forty-two schools will provide Full Day Kindergarten for four and five year olds in September 2013. Children in these schools will attend Kindergarten all day, every day (see below).
- Most other schools offer the Kindergarten program for a whole day, every other day (Monday-Wednesday-alternate Fridays or Tuesday-Thursday-alternate Fridays). At schools where all children can walk, the program often runs for a half day, every day. Ask your local school which schedule they use.
- Kindergarten schedules will be provided by the school at which the child has been registered, and will be posted on the board’s website.
Full Day Kindergarten
- September 2010 marked the staged introduction of Full Day Kindergarten for four and five year olds.
- The following Upper Grand schools offer the program (2013-2014 school year):
Brant Avenue PS
Edward Johnson PS
Fred A. Hamilton PS
Gateway Drive PS
June Avenue PS
Ken Danby PS
King George / Lee Street Holding School
Laurine Avenue PS
Mitchell Woods PS
Ottawa Crescent PS
Priory Park PS
Rickson Ridge PS
Taylor Evans PS
Waverley Drive PS
Willow Road PS
Drayton Heights PS – Drayton
John Black PS – Fergus
Minto-Clifford PS – Harriston
Victoria Cross PS – Mount Forest
Victoria Terrace PS – Fergus
Dufferin County (including Orangeville)
Centennial Hylands PS – Shelburne
Credit Meadows – Orangeville
Grand Valley and District PS – Grand Valley
Hyland Heights ES - Shelburne
Island Lake PS – Orangeville
Laurelwoods ES – Orangeville
New Shelburne School
Primrose ES - Shelburne
Parkinson Centennial PS – Orangeville
Princess Margaret PS – Orangeville
- If a school offers the Full Day Kindergarten Program, all classes will be all day, every day.
- French Immersion schools that offer the Full Day Kindergarten Program for the 2013-14 school year are: Edward Johnson, F.A. Hamilton, King George Holding School, Brisbane and Palmerston.
- More information for parents on Full Day Kindergarten is available on our website and will be provided at the time of registration.
Where to Register
- You register in person at your local Upper Grand K-6 or K-8 elementary home school.
- Each school has an attendance area. Your address determines your attendance area and as a result, your home school.
- If your child is enrolled in French Immersion, the French Immersion school is your home school. Please register only at your French Immersion home school if you wish your child to attend this program. Do not register at your local English program school.
- If you don’t know your attendance area or your home school, use the www.findmyschool.ca website.
- If your child is a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident, you register directly with your home school or French Immersion school. If your child does not fall into one of these two categories, it may be necessary to meet with Board staff before you register. Your home school will be able to provide you with more information.
When to Register
- Student Admission Form
- Proof of your child’s age (Birth Certificate, Birth Registration Form, Baptismal Certificate, Passport).
- Proof of, and, full address (driver’s license, bank statement, utility bill, or similar documentation). Confirm that the address is within the school boundary. In rural areas please include your RR, lot and concession numbers.
- Your child’s up-to-date immunization record (yellow card).
- Any relevant custody order documents.
- Busing is provided by Service de transport de Wellington-Dufferin Student Transportation Services (STWDSTS). See the website: www.stwdsts.ca.
- Children are bussed based on their age and the distance they live from their home school. Board policy states that the maximum walking distance for a child in Kindergarten is 1.5 km.
- Bus information will be provided to parents of new Kindergarten students by mail approximately two weeks before the first day of school by STWDSTS.
French Immersion Information - General
- Not all schools offer the French Immersion program (see below). Use the www.findmyschool.ca website to find the school your child will attend. The French Immersion school is your home school.
- You should register at the designated French Immersion school, not at your English home school. This ensures that we have only one registration (English or FI) for each child.
- Edward Johnson, John McCrae, and F. A. Hamilton public schools in Guelph offer only the French Immersion program. All other schools that offer French Immersion are dual track – providing both English and French Immersion programming.
- French Immersion Full Day Kindergarten will be offered in 2012-13 at Edward Johnson, F.A. Hamilton, Brisbane, Palmerson and the King George Holding School.