King George JK-8 FI Boundary Review
The JK-8 boundary for King George PS was approved on December 18, 2012. The selected Scenario - Scenario 1 - is presented (with maps) in the King George PS JK-8 FI Boundary Review Report #3. Along with JK-6 boundary changes for King George PS, there are modifications to the JK-6 FI boundary of Victory PS. Due to projected overcrowding at Victory PS in 2014 with the implementation of Full Day Kindergarten and continued growth in FI, it was necessary to relieve pressure through the reassignment of some FI students.
The boundary review also created a new Grade 7/8 attendance area for King George PS, with Victory PS and Edward Johnson PS becoming feeder schools. In 2014-2015 King George PS will be JK to Grade 7 only, with Grade 8 students in the attendance area grandparented at John McCrae PS. In 2015-2016 King George PS will be JK-8 FI.
The Board referred the Victory PS FI parents to the Courtesy Busing process for those students who would not qualify for busing to King George PS. Victory PS staff will provide parents with information on the courtesy transportation process in 2014 and information on process for delegating to the Board.
Summary of Changes
The new boundaries for King George PS and Victory PS will take effect in September 2014 (see maps 1-4).
Effective September 2014:
- All Victory PS Grades 5 & 6 FI students will attend King George PS
- All Victory PS Grade 4 students will remain at Victory PS, subject to annual monitoring
- Grade 7 FI students who graduate from Grade 6 FI at Edward Johnson PS, Victory PS and King George PS in June 2014 will attend King George PS
- Grade 8 FI students will be grandparented at John McCrae PS for the 2014/15 school year
Students who qualify will receive transportation. As directed by the Board, Victory PS staff will remind parents (in 2014) about the process for applying for courtesy busing, and also about the process for delegating to the board if the courtesy busing solution is not successful. Courtesy busing decisions are made annually in late October. Please visit the Service de transport de Wellington-Dufferin Student Transportation Services website - www.stwdsts.ca/home
King George PS is a new, reconstructed school opening in September 2012 at 72 Lemon Street. A boundary review will establish the attendance areas for the school as a JK-8 French Immersion centre effective September 2014 – one for JK-6, and another for Grades 7-8. The review has three goals:
- Create a viable and sustainable JK-8 FI program at King George PS.
- Accommodate north Guelph 7/8 FI students feeding from JK-6 programs at Edward Johnson PS, King George PS and Victory PS.
- Relieve French Immersion enrolment pressure at Victory PS and John McCrae PS.
Proceeding now with the establishment of King George’s attendance area in 2014 is important because it has implications for other schools which are expected to be over capacity by 2014. A key factor in enrolment growth is the arrival of Full Day Kindergarten (FDK). John McCrae PS and Victory PS will begin to offer FDK in September 2014, the fifth and final year for implementing this provincially-mandated program.
Schools in this area of Guelph are also impacted by the growth of French Immersion, which continues to be a popular choice for families with children entering kindergarten.
Documents and Resources
- Letter to King George PS Parents December 20, 2012
- Letter to Victory PS Parents December 20, 2012
- Letter to Edward Johnson PS Parents December 20, 2012
- Report #3 December 11, 2012 IMPORTANT
- Appendix II for Report #3
- Media Release December 19, 2012 NEW
- Media Release December 11, 2012
- Letter to King George PS Parents December 11, 2012
- Letter to Victory PS Parents December 11, 2012
- Letter to Edward Johnson PS Parents December 11, 2012
- Frequently Asked Questions November 22, 2012 IMPORTANT
- Report #2 October 16, 2012 IMPORTANT
- How to Provide Input
- Media Release october 16, 2012
- Letter to Edward Johnson PS Parents September 13, 2012
- Letter to Victory PS Parents September 13, 2012
- Letter to King George PS Parents September 13, 2012
- Report #1 june 12, 2012 IMPORTANT
- Media Release june 13, 2012
- Letter to John McCrae PS Parents june 13, 2012
- Letter to Edward Johnson PS Parents june 13, 2012
- Letter to Victory PS Parents june 13, 2012
- East Guelph Full Day Kindergarten - Staffs Proposed Transition Plan (Road Map)
- French Immersion Boundary Maps 2012-2013
- Policy 320 - School Boundary Review
Public Information Session
A Public Information Session occurred on Tuesday, October 23, 2012, from 7 to 9 p.m. in the gym of King George Public School. This was an opportunity to hear first-hand about the boundary review, ask questions, talk to staff and other parents, and provide the Boundary Review committee with feedback for consideration before the final report goes to trustees for a vote on December 11, 2012. Frequently Asked Questions from this meeting is posted under Documents and Resources.
Individuals, organizations and groups are welcome to speak to the Board as a delegation at a Regular Board or Standing Committee meeting. To appear as a delegation you must apply in writing to the Board Chair not later than noon on the Wednesday before the scheduled Tuesday meeting date.