Research Biography@Your Library
Go to the Library Links webpage.
- From the Databases section log onto EBSCO
Username: john password: ross
Select and uncheck all the boxes. Check Biographies.
Search, last name, first name.
- You can search in if your person has published works.
- An alternative is to search in Middle Search Plus which is located in EBSCOhostWeb. Many times the databases have an Images tab to assist when looking for photos.
- Another area to search with databases is to try the Knowledge Ontario INFOTRAC database from the DATABASES dropdown menu on the Library webpage. The password is trillium.
You can search the entire aggregated database or select a specific database.
Cursor down and find Discovering Collection. Which is excellent for biographies. Have a look at the page and decide what choices you should make, if any, and then input your search term(s).
When you search the entire database using the term biographies you’d find there are 455 biographies. You can also limit your search with full text or/and images. You can also choose to sort search findings by publication date or relevance.
- If you are looking for a Canadian biography go to C.P.I.Q. (Canadian periodicals) database in INFOTRAC. Again search your keyword terms.
- Do not forget to search the HIP online library catalogue located on the Library webpage for book sources.
When the name you type does not bring up a title, think of other keywords you can type to find other titles. You may have to look in the index located in the back of a book to find what you are seeking.
Some suggested print sources:
- Canadians All: Portraits of Our People 920.071 CAN
- Heroes and Heroines (4 vol.) 920.009 CON
- Prejudice in the Modern World - Biographies 303.385 HAN
- Elizabethan World Biographies REF 492.005 SHO
- Cold War Reference Library Cumulative Index 909.825 HAN
- Holocaust Rescuers: Ten Stories of Courage 362.8781 LYM
- The World of Twentieth Century Music 780.9 EWE
- The Underground Railroad: An encyclopedia of people, places, and operations 973. 7115 SNO
- Encyclopedia of World Biography REF 920 ENC (look in the index volume)
- Any general encyclopedia is a great place to begin researching for any topic