For Immediate Release
July 3, 2012
Mike Elrick Award goes to Mike Anderson
GUELPH, Ontario -- The 2012 recipient of the Mike Elrick Environmental Leadership Award is Mike Anderson, an elementary curriculum leader for science and technology.
Anderson received an unprecedented 33 nominations from staff, recognizing his tireless work in supporting and encouraging environmental initiatives within elementary and secondary schools in the Upper Grand District School Board.
Among Mike Anderson’s accomplishments:
- Assistance and support provided to schools applying for EcoSchools certification
- Initiated a grade 7/8 leadership conference for Eco Clubs
- Coordinated school waste audits and compiled data
- Developed a “Go Green” website
- Networked with Learning for Sustainable Futures
- Provided opportunities for staff development
- Re-energized the Board’s environmental policy and worked with the Board’s Environmental Issues Committee
His nominators said that “Mike not only presents the material and opportunities for staff, but energizes them with the will to proceed and help educate our students in many areas of environmental education.”
In addition they spoke to Mike’s infectious enthusiasm: “Mike never turns away a question or request. His heart and passion are remarkable!”
Mike will receive a cash award from the Environmental Issues Committee to go towards an environmental project of his choice in the board.
The Environmental Leadership Award is given in memory of Mike Elrick, an Upper Grand DSB teacher who demonstrated outstanding commitment and leadership in his work on environmental issues within the board. In addition to running the Community Environmental Leadership and Headwaters Programs for fifteen years, he also chaired the board-wide Environmental Issues Committee and was involved in numerous other initiatives. Mike Elrick passed away in November 2009 from lung cancer.
The following UGDSB staff members were also nominated for the Mike Elrick Environmental Leadership Award:
- Cory Lipovcheck, Teacher, Centennial CVI
- Jonathon Schinkel, Teacher, Norwell DHS
- Yvette Tendick, Teacher, Tytler P.S.
- Jenny O’Shea, Teacher, Erin P.S.
- Mike Hendrick, Teacher, Norwell DHS
- Lloyd Lewis, Teacher, Guelph CVI
- Mike Dinka, Teacher, Orangeville DHS
- Joel Barr, Teacher, Centennial CVI
- Chris Vanbeurden, Teacher, Guelph CVI
- Monica Forget, Teacher, Victoria Terrace P.S.
- Heather Cameron, Teacher, Centre Wellington CVI
- Natalie Leitch, Teacher, JD Hogarth P.S.
- Jennifer Bailey, Teacher, Island Lake P.S.
- Margie Johnson, Teacher, John McCrae
- Karen Acton, Principal, Ken Danby P.S.
- Jill Fendley- Legge, Teacher, Montgomery Village P.S.
For more information:
Maggie McFadzen, Communications Officer
519-822-4420 ext. 725
Mark Weidmark, Administrative Officer - Communications
519-822-4420 ext. 544