Safe Arrival - Safe Departure
Attendance - Safe Arrival Program
Please call the office (519.763.7040) before 8:15 am if your child is going to be absent or late. The voice mail can take your messages 24 hours a day. Please supply us with the student name(s), class(es) and reason(s) for absence/lateness. The Ministry's Safe Arrival Program mandates that we call parents of absent students if we have not been informed, by a parent, of the reason for the absence. If we can not reach you at home or at work, we will attempt to call your emergency contact person. Late students must report to the office for a late slip before going to class, so the attendance register can be amended.
Board Policy on Safe Arrival reads:
It is the responsibility of parents to:
- provide current telephone contacts such as: home phone number, work number of both parents, number of caregiver, number of safe arrival contact, and emergency contact numbers on the student admission/information form;
- update the information during the school year;
- communicate with the school, prior to the start of school in the morning or afternoon, when the child will be absent or late for any reason;
- provide written permission for their child to leave the school during the day; and
- inform the school when their child will be returning after an absence of more than one day.
Please send authorization in writing if someone other than the legal guardian is going to pick your child up from school. The authorized adult may also be asked for photo identification.
If it is necessary for a child to leave early, or to leave for a period during the day for an appointment, a note must be sent to the teacher. For the safety of your child, we request that you come into the school to sign him/her out at the office. We can not send students out to waiting cars.
Also, please send written authorization if a child who takes a bus is going to be picked up. Unless we can confirm otherwise, it is our practice to send the child home on the bus as usual. Under urgent circumstances, a telephone call may be made to the office before 2:30 p.m. We appreciate your efforts to make all foreseen arrangements ahead of time accompanied with a note.